Friday , December 15 2017
Home / News / World / Bodies of missing US Navy sailors found

Bodies of missing US Navy sailors found

The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald, damaged by colliding with a Philippine-flagged merchant vessel, is towed into the U.S. naval base in Yokosuka, south of Tokyo, Japan June 17, 2017
Image: The USS Fitzgerald limped into port in Japan after the collision

The bodies of a number of US sailors who were missing after their warship collided with a container vessel have been found in the destroyer’s flooded compartments.

The USS Fitzgerald suffered major damage in the crash with the much larger Philippine-flagged merchant ship off the coast of Japan on Saturday.

Seven sailors were listed as missing following the collision, but it is unclear if all had been found by navy divers.

The US Navy has declined to say how many had been recovered.

The bodies were being transferred to a US naval hospital where they will be identified.

Japanese media said all seven sailors were found dead.

A Philippine-flagged merchant vessel, damaged by colliding with the Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald. Pic: Kyodo
Image: The Philippine-flagged merchant vessel involved in the collision. Pic: Kyodo

The US 7th Fleet said in a statement: “As search and rescue crews gained access to the spaces that were damaged during the collision this morning, the missing sailors were located in the flooded berthing compartments.

“They are currently being transferred to Naval Hospital Yokosuka where they will be identified.

“The families are being notified and being provided the support they need during this difficult time.

“The names of the sailors will be released after all notifications are made.”

The crash happened at 2.30am Saturday local time, around 56 miles southwest of the city of Yokosuka, which is home to a US naval base.

Many of the 285 sailors would have been asleep on board at the time.

A sailor is rescued from the USS Fitzgerald after it collided with a container ship near Japan
Image: Three sailors were rescued from the US Navy destroyer

Three casualties were airlifted off the warship following the collision, including the Fitzgerald’s commanding officer, Commander Bryce Benson, who suffered a head injury. He was reported to be in a stable condition.

Then two others injured were treated for cuts and bruises.

The listing Fitzgerald returned to Yokosuka, which lies south of Tokyo, on Saturday evening.

It suffered a massive gash beneath its waterline and came close to sinking or foundering, according to the US Navy.

Commander of the Seventh Fleet Vice Admiral Joseph Aucoin said only frantic damage control efforts had saved the ship.

It is not clear what caused the collision but the coastguard has said the area had been particularly busy with sea traffic at the time.

The 29,000 tonne container ship, ASX Crystal, dwarfed the 8,000 tonne guided missile destroyer.

Nippon Yusen KK, which chartered the merchant vessel, said it would “cooperate fully” with the investigation into the crash.




  • Check Also

    North Korea: US blockade would be ‘act of war’

    US Navy vessels have been on manoeuvres with South Korean ships in preparation for possible military action
    Image: US and South Korean warships were on manoeuvres in the Pacific in May 2017

    North Korea has warned the US would take a “dangerous and big step” towards nuclear war if it enforces a naval blockade.

    It said it would take “merciless self-defensive” measures.

    North Korea state media said the Trump administration was “pursuing a policy of military confrontation but this is nothing but a death-bed struggle by those alarmed by the might of the DPRK always emerging victorious”.

    “Should the United States and its followers try to enforce the naval blockade against our country, we will see it as an act of war and respond with merciless self-defensive counter-measures as we have warned repeatedly,” said KCNA, citing a foreign ministry spokesman.

    Although a blockade to enforce trade sanctions is not believed to be imminent, after North Korea’s November rocket test US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said it was a possibility.

    White House National Security adviser HR McMaster said in September however, that even ‘non-strike’ options carried the risk of military escalation.

    A view of the Hwasong-15's test
    Image: North Korea’s latest test was in November – of a Hwasong-15 rocket

    North Korea’s latest threat comes as Chinese President Xi Jinping – during a visit by South Korea’s leader – said war must not be allowed to break out.

    “The peninsula issue must, in the end, be resolved via dialogue and consultation,” he said.

    South Korea’s Yonhap news agency said the presidents had agreed to cooperate in applying sanctions and pressure on the North.

    UN chief Antonio Guterres also said on Thursday that it was vital Security Council resolutions on North Korea were fully implemented by all countries.

    “The worst possible thing that could happen is for us all to sleepwalk into a war,” Mr Guterres said during a visit to Tokyo to meet Japan’s PM.

    North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un continues to defy the international community with regular missile tests and threats of nuclear strikes against the US mainland if provoked.

    The latest test – of a long-range Hwasong-15 rocket – was last month.

    :: Top North Korean officials ‘punished for taking bribes’

    Kim Jong Un watches North Korea's latest missile launch

    Despite President Trump’s bombastic language and counter-threats, Mr Tillerson recently offered direct talks with North Korea without pre-conditions.

    Russia’s Vladimir Putin – speaking at his annual news conference on Thursday – said a pre-emptive US strike against North Korea would be “catastrophic” and called Mr Tillerson’s offer a “realistic” approach.

    More from North Korea

    • Top North Korean officials ‘punished for taking bribes’

    • World faces ‘last best chance’ to avoid war with North Korea, US general warns

    • Kim Jong Un celebrates missile launch with stroll on sacred mountain

    • North Korea is ‘hacking soaring Bitcoin exchanges’, say researchers

    • How to survive a nuclear attack: State-run Chinese newspaper offers tips

    • ‘Everything made of metal has gone’ from Japanese island visited by North Koreans

    The UK maintains that economic pressure is the best way to deal with North Korea.

    Speaking at a news conference, Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said: “We don’t want to see a military solution… we want to see an intensified diplomatic effort.”

    More world news

    • Previous article 6,700 Rohingya Muslims ‘killed in a month’
    • Next article Industrial hack could have left physical damage