Friday , December 15 2017
Home / News / World / Brits who 'shone lasers at planes' face £540k fine

Brits who 'shone lasers at planes' face £540k fine

The National Police identifies two people for dazzling several pilots when they landed at the Malaga airport
Image: Police said several pilots had reported being dazzled

Police in Spain say a British father and son are facing fines of up to £540,000 for allegedly pointing laser pens at planes as they came in to land.

Detectives claim an off-duty officer had spotted the pair shining beams at aircraft descending into Malaga airport.

The 41-year-old man and his 15-year-old boy were on their hotel room’s balcony in Torremolinos at the time.

Several pilots are believed to have complained about being dazzled with a green laser pointer as they prepared to land.

The emergency services managed to locate and identify the holidaymakers, and two laser pens were seized.

The National Police identifies two people for dazzling several pilots when they landed at the Malaga airport
Image: Two laser pens were seized from the holidaymakers

A statement from Spain’s National Police said the “very serious violation” could result in a fine of at least £27,000 and up to £540,000.

In February, the UK Government said people shining laser pens at pilots or drivers would face hefty fines or even prison under tough new powers.

Transport Secretary Chris Grayling warned the practice was “incredibly dangerous” as it risked causing temporary blindness.

Offenders in the UK face fines of up to £2,500, but investigators must prove a person has endangered an aircraft.




  • Check Also

    North Korea: US blockade would be ‘act of war’

    US Navy vessels have been on manoeuvres with South Korean ships in preparation for possible military action
    Image: US and South Korean warships were on manoeuvres in the Pacific in May 2017

    North Korea has warned the US would take a “dangerous and big step” towards nuclear war if it enforces a naval blockade.

    It said it would take “merciless self-defensive” measures.

    North Korea state media said the Trump administration was “pursuing a policy of military confrontation but this is nothing but a death-bed struggle by those alarmed by the might of the DPRK always emerging victorious”.

    “Should the United States and its followers try to enforce the naval blockade against our country, we will see it as an act of war and respond with merciless self-defensive counter-measures as we have warned repeatedly,” said KCNA, citing a foreign ministry spokesman.

    Although a blockade to enforce trade sanctions is not believed to be imminent, after North Korea’s November rocket test US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said it was a possibility.

    White House National Security adviser HR McMaster said in September however, that even ‘non-strike’ options carried the risk of military escalation.

    A view of the Hwasong-15's test
    Image: North Korea’s latest test was in November – of a Hwasong-15 rocket

    North Korea’s latest threat comes as Chinese President Xi Jinping – during a visit by South Korea’s leader – said war must not be allowed to break out.

    “The peninsula issue must, in the end, be resolved via dialogue and consultation,” he said.

    South Korea’s Yonhap news agency said the presidents had agreed to cooperate in applying sanctions and pressure on the North.

    UN chief Antonio Guterres also said on Thursday that it was vital Security Council resolutions on North Korea were fully implemented by all countries.

    “The worst possible thing that could happen is for us all to sleepwalk into a war,” Mr Guterres said during a visit to Tokyo to meet Japan’s PM.

    North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un continues to defy the international community with regular missile tests and threats of nuclear strikes against the US mainland if provoked.

    The latest test – of a long-range Hwasong-15 rocket – was last month.

    :: Top North Korean officials ‘punished for taking bribes’

    Kim Jong Un watches North Korea's latest missile launch

    Despite President Trump’s bombastic language and counter-threats, Mr Tillerson recently offered direct talks with North Korea without pre-conditions.

    Russia’s Vladimir Putin – speaking at his annual news conference on Thursday – said a pre-emptive US strike against North Korea would be “catastrophic” and called Mr Tillerson’s offer a “realistic” approach.

    More from North Korea

    • Top North Korean officials ‘punished for taking bribes’

    • World faces ‘last best chance’ to avoid war with North Korea, US general warns

    • Kim Jong Un celebrates missile launch with stroll on sacred mountain

    • North Korea is ‘hacking soaring Bitcoin exchanges’, say researchers

    • How to survive a nuclear attack: State-run Chinese newspaper offers tips

    • ‘Everything made of metal has gone’ from Japanese island visited by North Koreans

    The UK maintains that economic pressure is the best way to deal with North Korea.

    Speaking at a news conference, Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said: “We don’t want to see a military solution… we want to see an intensified diplomatic effort.”

    More world news

    • Previous article 6,700 Rohingya Muslims ‘killed in a month’
    • Next article Industrial hack could have left physical damage