Sunday , December 17 2017
Home / News / World / First of Chennai Six says ‘excellent to be home’

First of Chennai Six says ‘excellent to be home’

He landed on Wednesday and his five colleagues are due on Thursday

The first of a group of British men nicknamed the Chennai Six, who were held on weapons charges in India, has returned home.

Billy Irving, from Argyll and Bute, landed at Glasgow airport this morning, having won his lengthy legal battle for freedom.

He told Sky News: “Massive thank you to everyone who supported me and the five others.

“It feels excellent to be home.”

He was one of six guards arrested for smuggling weapons but they have now received permission to leave India.

He landed on Wednesday and his five colleagues are due on Thursday
Image: He landed on Wednesday and his five colleagues are due on Thursday

The others, including Nick Dunn, John Armstrong, Nicholas Simpson, Ray Tindall and Paul Towers, are expected back on Thursday.

Mr Irving was greeted by family who made “Welcome Home, Billy” signs, and by two pipers who played as the 37-year-old walked out of the airport.

A cut and shave meant he looked quite different to the last photos of him while still in India.

Mr Irving is hugged by family as he arrives home
Image: Mr Irving is hugged by family as he arrives home

In a statement given after the ruling, the six said: “After four long years, we, along with the 29 crew of the Seaman Guard Ohio, have been cleared by the Appeal Court. We want to thank the court for reaching this decision.

“We are all in good health and eager to return to our families and friends. Whilst we wait for permission to leave India and come home, we ask the media to respect our privacy and that of our families during this process.

Family wait to welcome Mr Irving home
Image: Family wait to welcome Mr Irving home

“We want to thank our legal counsel, the Foreign & Commonwealth Office and The Mission to Seafarers for helping us reach this point.

“We have been glad to receive the many messages of support and care packages during our time in prison, and ask for time to reflect on our experience and to prepare for home.”

He was arrested in 2013 and hadn't been home since
Image: Boris Johnson said the Foreign Office had been working on his case

Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said: “It is wonderful news that the men are returning to the UK.

“The Foreign Office has worked unstintingly on this case, lobbying on the men’s behalf, visiting them in prison, updating their families, and maintaining close contact with their legal team.

“I pay tribute to those who have campaigned for the men, who will be delighted to see them return home after being separated for so long.”

Supporters of the Chennai Six outside of Number 10 Downing Street. Pic: Stefan Rousseau/PA Wire
Image: Supporters of the Chennai Six outside of Number 10 Downing Street. Pic: Stefan Rousseau/PA Wire

The six men were arrested in October 2013 when the Indian Coastguard boarded their ship, the MV Sean Guard Ohio.

They were arrested for taking weapons into India’s waters, but the charges were quashed when the men showed their UK paperwork and argued they were carrying them for anti-piracy purposes.

More from UK

  • Man in court over alleged plot to blow up Number 10 gates and kill Theresa May with a suicide bomb

  • The plots to kill prime ministers

  • Storm Caroline: Met Office warns of potential risk to life as UK set to be battered by 90mph winds

  • Storm Caroline: What you need to know about the ‘deadly’ weather front

  • Poppi Worthington: ‘Botched police probe makes prosecution unlikely’, inquest hears

  • PC James Dixon: Theresa May leads tributes to Road Wars police officer killed in crash

A lower court reinstated the charges and they were sentenced to five years in jail in January last year.

They have launched a series of appeals, finally getting success at the end of November.

More stories

  • Previous article Why is Trump moving the US embassy in Israel?
  • Next article UN commits to stopping ocean plastic pollution




  • Check Also

    Far-right party to enter Austrian government

    Heinz-Christian Strache
    Image: The FPO’s Heinz-Christian Strache is tipped to be deputy chancellor

    Austria is set to become the only western European country with a far-right party in government.

    The head of the conservative People’s Party (OVP), Sebastian Kurz, has struck a coalition deal with the far-right Freedom Party (FPO).

    The FPO will take charge of the foreign, interior and defence ministries, among others, while its leader, 48-year-old Heinz-Christian Strache, will be deputy chancellor.

    Mr Kurz, 31, will be the youngest leader in Europe. His OVP will run ministries including finance and justice.

    When the OVP won Austria’s election on 15 October it did so with a hard line on immigration – a policy which often overlapped with that of the FPO.

    The FPO was third, taking 26% of the vote.

    “Nobody has anything to fear,” said the FPO’s secretary general and Austria’s next interior minister, Herbert Kickl.

    Sebastian Kurz
    Image: Sebastian Kurz says he wants to increase security and combat illegal immigraton

    Mr Kurz held a joint news conference with Mr Strache and told reporters: “Our aims are quite clear.

    “We want to ease the tax burden for people, we want to strengthen our economy, which will bolster our social system.”

    Mr Kurz, known as ‘wunderwuzzi’ or ‘whizz-kid’, added: “And first and foremost we want to increase security in our country, including by combating illegal immigration.”

    While Mr Kurz has said his administration will be pro-European, both he and Mr Strache have expressed doubts about further social integration.

    Sebastian Kurz
    Image: Mr Kurz, 31, is Europe’s youngest leader

    The two men presented their agreement to Austrian President Alexander Van der Bellen, a former Greens leader who narrowly beat the FPO in a presidential vote in 2015.

    Mr Van der Bellen, who has the right to reject ministers, has said a new government could be sworn in early next week if everything went to plan.

    Following their meeting, Mr Van der Bellen said they had agreed it was in Austria’s “national interest” to remain at the “centre of a strong European Union”.

    More from World

    • Argentina fires head of navy a month after submarine vanished

    • After Zuma: Why South Africa is at a political crossroads

    • Billionaire couple found dead in their mansion basement

    • Pentagon says it used to investigate UFOs but doesn’t confirm whether it still does

    • Saudi women will be allowed to drive trucks and motorbikes when road ban lifted

    • Boy, nine, locked in safe during game of hide and seek in Berlin

    The FPO’s success mirrors that of similar parties across Europe. Geert Wilders’ Freedom Party is now the second-largest in the Netherlands, the Front National in France was involved in a run-off for the presidency in May and representatives from Germany’s AfD have entered the Bundestag.

    When the FPO was last in government, under the late Joerg Haider, other EU countries imposed sanctions on Vienna in protest.

    More top stories

    • Previous article Swimmers seriously hurt after two sea lion attacks
    • Next article Trump criticises ‘disgraceful’ FBI conduct