Saturday , December 16 2017
Home / News / World / Girl shot dead while ‘playing’ in Kenya protests

Girl shot dead while ‘playing’ in Kenya protests

Protesters run away after riot police fired live rounds in the Kibera slum in Nairobi
Image: Protesters run away after riot police fired live rounds in the Kibera slum in Nairobi

A nine-year-old girl has been killed while playing with her friends during protests over the election result in Kenya.

She’s among up to twelve people reportedly shot dead during demonstrations in the western city of Kisumu and slums around Nairobi.

Wycliff Mokaya said his daughter was killed by a stray bullet while on their third-floor balcony in the capital’s Mathare slum.

“I was watching her play with her friends when she suddenly fell down,” Mr Mokaya said. “She was my only hope.”

His daughter is one of a growing number of people killed during protests following the re-election of President Uhuru Kenyatta.

A barricade is set on fire in Mathare, Nairobi, during the protests
Image: A barricade is set on fire in Mathare, Nairobi, during the protests

Kenya’s opposition has accused the security forces of killing more than 100 people including children but has not produced any proof of their claims.

A senior member of the opposition coalition (NASA) James Orengo also claimed police had provoked the violence and urged supporters to stay out of harms way.

A security official said nine young men shot dead in the Mathare district overnight have now been bought to the city morgue.

The official believed the men had been killed by police in anti-looting operations.

Two more fatal shootings have also been confirmed on the outskirts of Kisumu, an area where opposition leader Raila Odinga enjoys strong support.

Residents plead with Kenyan security forces as they conduct an operation in Mathare
Image: Residents plead with Kenyan security forces as they conduct an operation in Mathare

Demo/Purchasenstrations have largely taken place in opposition strongholds, but have generated comparisons with the disputed 2007 election which led to two months of ethno-political violence that left 1,100 people dead.

Protests in the Kawangware slum in Nairobi have left burning tyres, debris and looted shops following running battles between opposition supporters and police.

Mr Odinga has claimed his loss was down to vote rigging and said the election was a “charade”.

The 72-year-old politician has now had four unsuccessful attempts to win the presidency.

Riot police arrive to disperse the protesters in Mathare
Image: Riot police arrive to disperse the protesters in Mathare

But Kenya’s main domestic poll monitoring organisation, ELOG, says it has found no evidence to suggest the election was manipulated or inaccurate.

The group’s own vote tally projected 54% of the vote for President Uhuru Kenyatta, compared to the official count of 54.3%, which ELOG said was well within their 1.9% margin of error.

Mr Kenyatta, 55, is a wealthy businessman and the son of Kenya’s first president.

He has called for unity following the election, saying “there is no need for violence”.

He added: “I reach out to you. I reach out to all your supporters. To our brothers, our worthy competitors, we are not enemies, we are all citizens of the same republic.”




  • Check Also

    North Korea: US blockade would be ‘act of war’

    US Navy vessels have been on manoeuvres with South Korean ships in preparation for possible military action
    Image: US and South Korean warships were on manoeuvres in the Pacific in May 2017

    North Korea has warned the US would take a “dangerous and big step” towards nuclear war if it enforces a naval blockade.

    It said it would take “merciless self-defensive” measures.

    North Korea state media said the Trump administration was “pursuing a policy of military confrontation but this is nothing but a death-bed struggle by those alarmed by the might of the DPRK always emerging victorious”.

    “Should the United States and its followers try to enforce the naval blockade against our country, we will see it as an act of war and respond with merciless self-defensive counter-measures as we have warned repeatedly,” said KCNA, citing a foreign ministry spokesman.

    Although a blockade to enforce trade sanctions is not believed to be imminent, after North Korea’s November rocket test US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said it was a possibility.

    White House National Security adviser HR McMaster said in September however, that even ‘non-strike’ options carried the risk of military escalation.

    A view of the Hwasong-15's test
    Image: North Korea’s latest test was in November – of a Hwasong-15 rocket

    North Korea’s latest threat comes as Chinese President Xi Jinping – during a visit by South Korea’s leader – said war must not be allowed to break out.

    “The peninsula issue must, in the end, be resolved via dialogue and consultation,” he said.

    South Korea’s Yonhap news agency said the presidents had agreed to cooperate in applying sanctions and pressure on the North.

    UN chief Antonio Guterres also said on Thursday that it was vital Security Council resolutions on North Korea were fully implemented by all countries.

    “The worst possible thing that could happen is for us all to sleepwalk into a war,” Mr Guterres said during a visit to Tokyo to meet Japan’s PM.

    North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un continues to defy the international community with regular missile tests and threats of nuclear strikes against the US mainland if provoked.

    The latest test – of a long-range Hwasong-15 rocket – was last month.

    :: Top North Korean officials ‘punished for taking bribes’

    Kim Jong Un watches North Korea's latest missile launch

    Despite President Trump’s bombastic language and counter-threats, Mr Tillerson recently offered direct talks with North Korea without pre-conditions.

    Russia’s Vladimir Putin – speaking at his annual news conference on Thursday – said a pre-emptive US strike against North Korea would be “catastrophic” and called Mr Tillerson’s offer a “realistic” approach.

    More from North Korea

    • Top North Korean officials ‘punished for taking bribes’

    • World faces ‘last best chance’ to avoid war with North Korea, US general warns

    • Kim Jong Un celebrates missile launch with stroll on sacred mountain

    • North Korea is ‘hacking soaring Bitcoin exchanges’, say researchers

    • How to survive a nuclear attack: State-run Chinese newspaper offers tips

    • ‘Everything made of metal has gone’ from Japanese island visited by North Koreans

    The UK maintains that economic pressure is the best way to deal with North Korea.

    Speaking at a news conference, Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said: “We don’t want to see a military solution… we want to see an intensified diplomatic effort.”

    More world news

    • Previous article 6,700 Rohingya Muslims ‘killed in a month’
    • Next article Industrial hack could have left physical damage