Saturday , January 20 2018
Home / News / World / Hide and seek goes wrong as boy gets locked in safe

Hide and seek goes wrong as boy gets locked in safe

Firemen worked to free the boy for three hours, while pumping oxygen into the safe. Pic. @Berliner_Fw
Image: Firemen worked to free the boy for three hours, finally guessing the 6-digit code. Pic. @Berliner_Fw

A nine-year-old boy playing hide and seek at his grandfather’s home had to be rescued by firefighters after he hid in a safe.

The boy was playing with his little brother at the home in Lichterfelde, Berlin, when he found the ultimate hiding place.

Unfortunately, the door to the unused safe closed on the boy, locking him in.

His whereabouts were eventually uncovered – but his grandfather was the only person who knew the entry code, and he was away.

With no other option, the family called for help from the fire brigade.

Oxygen was pumped into the safe via a small plastic tube
Image: Oxygen was pumped into the safe via a small plastic tube. Pic. Berliner Feuerwher

It took three hours of testing family birth dates in the hope of uncovering the secret entry code, while oxygen was pumped into the safe through a tiny crack as a precaution.

Just as a specialist team was about to start breaking the safe open, they entered the correct six-digit code.

More from Berlin

  • Love Zoo: Will sex cure panda’s habit of walking backwards?

  • From Nice to Barcelona: A year of vehicle attacks

  • Bag of gold bars and cash worth £30k found under tree in Berlin

  • Changing of the Guard changed after Berlin Christmas market attack

  • Berlin Christmas market killer Anis Amri used 14 aliases

  • Berlin attack: CCTV shows Anis Amri in Belgium two days after massacre

Firefighters say the child remained calm throughout the ordeal and was shocked but unharmed.

Berlin firefighter Thomas Kirstein said it was happy ending and super early Christmas present.

More top stories

  • Previous article Argentina fires head of navy over missing sub
  • Next article Tulse Hill hit and run: Fifth vehicle ‘involved’

  • Check Also

    Tests on Cranberries singer O’Riordan’s body

    Dolores O'Riordan
    Image: Dolores O’Riordan was to sing on a new version of Zombie with Bad Wolves

    A coroner is awaiting results of “various tests” to determine what caused the death of The Cranberries singer Dolores O’Riordan.

    At the opening of the inquest, Westminster Coroner’s Court was told that O’Riordan was found unresponsive in her hotel room on Monday and declared dead at the scene by ambulance workers.

    Coroner’s officer Stephen Earl said: “A post-mortem examination has now taken place and the court is awaiting the results of various tests that have been commissioned.”

    O’Riordan, 46, had been in London for a recording session at the time of her death, her publicist said earlier this week.

    She had been staying at the Hilton on Park Lane.

    Police have said they do not think her death is suspicious.

    Tributes have been paid by singers, producers and even Irish President Michael D Higgins, who described O’Riordan and her Irish rock band as having had an immense influence on rock and pop music in Ireland and internationally.

    More from The Cranberries

    • The Cranberries Zombie cover to raise money for singer Dolores O’Riordan’s children

    • Cranberries singer Dolores O’Riordan’s death not suspicious

    • The Cranberries: A sweet and lingering fruit of the 90s

    • Cranberries singer Dolores O’Riordan had planned to re-record Zombie the day after her death

    The Cranberries formed in the Irish city of Limerick at the end of the 1980s.

    Their international hits included the songs Dream, Linger and Zombie.

    More stories

    • Previous article Eight killed in Germany by storm that swept UK
    • Next article Disgraced ex-Olympics doctor faces abuse accusers