Saturday , December 16 2017
Home / News / World / Mistrial declared in Cosby sex assault case

Mistrial declared in Cosby sex assault case

Prosecutors have vowed to retry Cosby on three charges of aggravated indecent assault
Image: Prosecutors have vowed to retry Cosby on three charges of aggravated indecent assault

A judge has declared a mistrial in the Bill Cosby sex assault case because the jury says it is hopelessly deadlocked.

At a hearing, the jury said it could not reach a unanimous verdict on any of the counts being faced by the TV entertainer.

Cosby had been accused of sexually assaulting Andrea Constand at his Philadelphia mansion in 2004.

The jury had been deliberating for more than 50 hours on whether to convict the fallen TV star, but could not agree whether he had drugged and molested the 44-year-old.

Cosby’s wife Camille has condemned those who pursued the case – describing the district attorney as “heinously and exploitively ambitious”, and the judge as “overtly arrogant”.

Andrea Constand said she felt 'humiliated' and 'confused' by the alleged attack
Image: Andrea Constand said she felt 'humiliated' and 'confused' by the alleged attack

Prosecutors have vowed to retry the 79-year-old, who is known for his long-running sitcom The Cosby Show.

Cosby had faced spending the rest of his life in prison if he was convicted on three counts of aggravated indecent assault.

Dozens of women have come forward with allegations, some dating back decades, but statutes of limitations mean those allegations are too old to reach court.

This had been the first criminal prosecution to be brought against Cosby, who will celebrate his 80th birthday next month with his legacy and reputation in shreds.

After the mistrial was declared, Cosby’s lawyer Angela Agrusa said: “This is what happens, juries are stuck when a prosecutor seeks to put someone in prison for things that are simply not presented in the courtroom.”

The Cosby Show
Image: Cosby earned fame and fortune as 'America's dad' through his sitcom The Cosby Show

Dr Barbara Ziv, a forensic psychiatrist who has worked with victims of sexual assault, told Sky News: “When there are only two people involved there is always a ‘he said, she said’ element – so who are you going to believe?

“It’s hard to make judgements about credibility so there is a heavy reliance on physical evidence.”

Cosby does still face the possibility of civil trial on California over a claim dating back to the 1970s. Judy Huth says she was molested at the Playboy Mansion when she was 15 years old.

As with all of the allegations against him, Cosby has issued denials through his lawyers and remained largely silent himself.

Gloria Allred, a lawyer who represents many of his accusers, vowed: “We can never underestimate the blinding power of celebrity, but justice will come.”

Bill Cosby's star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame was defaced in December 2014
Image: Bill Cosby's star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame was defaced in December 2014

Journalists who have investigated the star say it is not surprising that it took many years for allegations to surface.

Mark Ebner said: “They have been empowered because time in many ways takes care of time.

“Back then their livelihoods, their reputations, everything was on the line because they were helpless to do anything about it because they were smack up against this power.”

When the scandal erupted, he was embarking on a career comeback expected to cement his legacy.

Instead TV appearances were shelved, his star on Hollywood’s Walk of Fame was defaced and his live stand-up tour was dogged by controversy.




  • Check Also

    North Korea: US blockade would be ‘act of war’

    US Navy vessels have been on manoeuvres with South Korean ships in preparation for possible military action
    Image: US and South Korean warships were on manoeuvres in the Pacific in May 2017

    North Korea has warned the US would take a “dangerous and big step” towards nuclear war if it enforces a naval blockade.

    It said it would take “merciless self-defensive” measures.

    North Korea state media said the Trump administration was “pursuing a policy of military confrontation but this is nothing but a death-bed struggle by those alarmed by the might of the DPRK always emerging victorious”.

    “Should the United States and its followers try to enforce the naval blockade against our country, we will see it as an act of war and respond with merciless self-defensive counter-measures as we have warned repeatedly,” said KCNA, citing a foreign ministry spokesman.

    Although a blockade to enforce trade sanctions is not believed to be imminent, after North Korea’s November rocket test US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said it was a possibility.

    White House National Security adviser HR McMaster said in September however, that even ‘non-strike’ options carried the risk of military escalation.

    A view of the Hwasong-15's test
    Image: North Korea’s latest test was in November – of a Hwasong-15 rocket

    North Korea’s latest threat comes as Chinese President Xi Jinping – during a visit by South Korea’s leader – said war must not be allowed to break out.

    “The peninsula issue must, in the end, be resolved via dialogue and consultation,” he said.

    South Korea’s Yonhap news agency said the presidents had agreed to cooperate in applying sanctions and pressure on the North.

    UN chief Antonio Guterres also said on Thursday that it was vital Security Council resolutions on North Korea were fully implemented by all countries.

    “The worst possible thing that could happen is for us all to sleepwalk into a war,” Mr Guterres said during a visit to Tokyo to meet Japan’s PM.

    North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un continues to defy the international community with regular missile tests and threats of nuclear strikes against the US mainland if provoked.

    The latest test – of a long-range Hwasong-15 rocket – was last month.

    :: Top North Korean officials ‘punished for taking bribes’

    Kim Jong Un watches North Korea's latest missile launch

    Despite President Trump’s bombastic language and counter-threats, Mr Tillerson recently offered direct talks with North Korea without pre-conditions.

    Russia’s Vladimir Putin – speaking at his annual news conference on Thursday – said a pre-emptive US strike against North Korea would be “catastrophic” and called Mr Tillerson’s offer a “realistic” approach.

    More from North Korea

    • Top North Korean officials ‘punished for taking bribes’

    • World faces ‘last best chance’ to avoid war with North Korea, US general warns

    • Kim Jong Un celebrates missile launch with stroll on sacred mountain

    • North Korea is ‘hacking soaring Bitcoin exchanges’, say researchers

    • How to survive a nuclear attack: State-run Chinese newspaper offers tips

    • ‘Everything made of metal has gone’ from Japanese island visited by North Koreans

    The UK maintains that economic pressure is the best way to deal with North Korea.

    Speaking at a news conference, Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said: “We don’t want to see a military solution… we want to see an intensified diplomatic effort.”

    More world news

    • Previous article 6,700 Rohingya Muslims ‘killed in a month’
    • Next article Industrial hack could have left physical damage