Saturday , January 20 2018
Home / News / World / Trump Jr releases private WikiLeaks messages

Trump Jr releases private WikiLeaks messages

Donald Trump Jr addresses a Trump campaign rally
Image: Donald Trump Jr was a regular spokesman on behalf of his father during the campaign

Donald Trump’s son has released private Twitter messages he exchanged with WikiLeaks in the run-up to the US election.

Donald Trump Jr’s response came after they were leaked to The Atlantic website.

The Twitter direct messages began in September 2016 and ran through to July this year.

The vast majority of the communication was one-sided, coming from WikiLeaks, and the President’s son only responded three times.

They show the organisation made a series of requests: from asking for comments and suggesting President Trump retweet a link, to suggesting Mr Trump should not concede if he lost the election.

They even encouraged the President-elect to ask Australia to make WikiLeaks’ founder, Julian Assange, ambassador to the US.

The message suggested he tell the country: “‘That’s a really smart tough guy and the most famous Australian you have!’ or something similar.”

Another request was for Mr Trump Jr to give them his father’s tax returns.

The organisation said it had an “unusual idea”, asking him: “Leak us one or more of your father’s tax returns.”

It gave three reasons why it claimed such a disclosure would benefit both the Trump campaign and WikiLeaks.

One of them being: “If we (WikiLeaks) publish them it will dramatically improve the perception of our impartiality.”

According to the messages, Mr Trump Jr did not respond.

In response to the leaking of the messages on Monday, Mr Trump Jr released the “entire chain” of messages “with my whopping three responses”.

His responses were agreeing to “ask around” about a political action committee mentioned by WikiLeaks; a comment about Hillary Clinton in which he said “it’s amazing what she can get away with”.

And, in October last year, just before WikiLeaks published emails linked to Mrs Clinton’s campaign, asking “What’s behind this Wednesday leak I keep reading about?”

The messages had already been handed over by Mr Trump Jr’s lawyers to three congressional committees investigating alleged Russian intervention in last year’s election, and claims of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia.

An FBI, CIA and FBI assessment last year concluded that Russian intelligence had given hacked information from the Demo/Purchasecratic Party to WikiLeaks.

WikiLeaks has denied Russia was the source of the emails it released, including those from John Podesta, Mrs Clinton’s campaign chairman.

The leaked Twitter exchanges are likely to increase calls for Mt Trump Jr. to testify publicly in front of the various committees.

In a statement, Mr Trump Jr’s lawyer, Alan Futerfas, said: “Putting aside the question as to why or by whom such documents, provided to Congress under promises of confidentiality, have been selectively leaked, we can say with confidence that we have no concerns about these documents and any questions raised about them have been easily answered in the appropriate forum.”

Donald Trump Jr admits he 'would have done things a little differently' in hindsight
Image: Donald Trump Jr released the messages with his ‘whopping three responses’

Vice President Mike Pence said, via his spokesman, that he was “never aware of anyone associated with the campaign being in contact with Wikileaks”.

Adam Schiff, the top Demo/Purchasecrat on the House Intelligence Committee, said the situation “demonstrates once again a willingness by the highest levels of the Trump campaign to accept foreign assistance”.

More top stories

  • Previous article Top TV producer: ‘I was groped in Number 10’
  • Next article Brit punches shark on nose to escape attack






  • Check Also

    California ‘torture parents’ plead not guilty

    Louise and David Turpin appear in court for her arraignment in Riverside
    Image: David and Louise Turpin face 94 years in prison if convicted of the alleged torture and abuse

    The parents of 13 children have appeared in court accused of abusing and starving them and chaining them to their beds in their squalid California home.

    David Allen Turpin, 57, and his wife Louise Anna Turpin, 49, their hands and legs shackled, appeared calm as they pleaded not guilty on Thursday to multiple charges of abuse, torture and imprisonment.

    The pair were arrested on Sunday after their 17-year-old daughter jumped out of a window at their home in Perris, about 70 miles east of Los Angeles, and used a mobile phone to call police.

    She had been planning the escape with one of her sisters for two years, but the sibling, who also managed to flee the house with her, became frightened and returned to the property.

    Louise and David Turpin appear in court for her arraignment in Riverside
    Image: Louise Turpin and her husband David reject the allegations

    Prosecutors say the alleged abuse by the Turpins started many years ago when the family lived in Texas, and intensified over time as they relocated to Murrieta, California, in 2010, before moving to their current family home in 2014.

    In a news conference, Riverside County district attorney Mike Hestrin revealed more information about the charges, along with harrowing details of the alleged abuse, describing it as a case of “human depravity”.

    :: A happy family? Photos of chained siblings

    The children, aged between two and 29, were held captive at home and denied basic freedoms.

    The only thing they were allowed to do was to write in their journals – hundreds of which are being reviewed for evidence.

    They were only allowed to shower once a year, it is claimed, and if they ever washed their hands above their wrists they would be accused of playing with the water and punished.

    Louise and David Turpin appear in court for her arraignment in Riverside
    Image: David Turpin is also charged with committing a lewd act on a child under 14

    The district attorney described the alleged torture as “severe, emotional, physical abuse”, and revealed that at least one of the children had once been hogtied.

    “The victims said as a punishment they would be tied up with ropes but when they were able to escape, their parents began using chains and padlocks,” he said.

    Other punishments included “frequent beatings” and “strangulation”.

    Mr Hestrin said the children would be chained up for weeks, or even months at a time, and would not be freed to go to the toilet.

    The prosecution claims when they were not chained up, they were kept in separate rooms and fed very little and on a schedule.

    It is alleged the mother and father would buy food for themselves but not give any of it to their sons and daughters.

    Riverside County District Attorney Mike Hestrin announces charges against David Turpin and Louise Turpin...
    Image: Riverside County District Attorney Mike Hestrin announced the charges

    “They would buy food, including pies, apple pies, pumpkin pies, leave it on the counter. let the children look at it but not eat the food,” said Mr Hestrin.

    :: Captive siblings: Police reveal how girl escaped

    Its is alleged that when the family lived in Texas the parents at one point lived apart from most of their children and would drop off food from time to time.

    Mr Hestrin said the children had been starved so much they were malnourished, their growth was stunted and their muscles deteriorating.

    The eldest, a 29-year-old woman, weighed just over five-and-a-half stone (82lbs), and a 12-year-old appeared to be the size of an average seven-year-old.

    Mr Hestrin said there had been no torture charge filed in relation to the two-year-old because the toddler appeared to be “getting enough food”.

    None of the victims had seen a doctor in more than four years, and none of them had ever seen a dentist, according to the district attorney.

    The Turpin family
    Image: The Turpin family

    “They were not allowed to have toys, although there were many toys found in the house that were in their original package and had never been opened,” he said.

    The victims lacked a basic knowledge of life. Many of the children did not know what a police officer was, he continued.

    When the 17-year-old was asked if there was any medication or pills in the home, she did not know what they were.

    The parents turned their home into a private school called Sandcastle Day School, where the father was listed as the principal and its six pupils were the couple’s younger children.

    However, at least one of the older boys attended college classes, Mr Hestrin said, but his mother would accompany him, wait outside and take him home once his class had finished.

    Mr Hestrin said the entire family would sleep during the day, going to bed at around 4am or 5am, and be up all night.

    When officers raided the home they found one of the siblings, a 22-year-old, chained to a bed and evidence suggesting two others – aged 11 and 13, had been freed moments before their arrival.

    David Turpin and Louise Turpin appear in court for their arraignment in Riversid
    Image: The couple were arrested on Sunday

    The couple were charged with 12 counts of torture, 12 of false imprisonment, six of child abuse and six of abuse of a dependant adult.

    David Turpin was also charged with performing a lewd act on a child, a girl, under the age of 14.

    When asked to elaborate on the lewd act charge, Mr Hestrin said: “We are alleging that David Turpin touched one of the victims in a lewd way by using force or fear.”

    The parents – who were married in 1985 in Pearlsburg, Virginia, when he was 23 years old and she was 16 – could each face 94 years in jail if found guilty.

    “A case like that sticks with you and haunts you,” Mr Hestrin said.

    More from California

    • Dogs found in Turpin ‘torture home’ to be raffled

    • Could there be a second Hollywood sign?

    • The normal house and family cars that hid a horrible secret

    • Captive siblings: Police reveal how girl escaped

    • A happy family? Photos add to mystery after siblings found chained to beds

    • Adults and children found chained to their beds in a US home

    “Sometimes in this business you are faced with human depravity, and that’s what we have here.”

    The Turpins are next due in court on 23 February.

    More top stories

    • Previous article Sky sources: Carillion had £2.6bn pension hole
    • Next article Zombie cover to support Cranberries singer’s children