Sunday , December 17 2017
Home / News / World / TV blockbuster halts production amid California wildfires

TV blockbuster halts production amid California wildfires

A weather vane is pictured on a ranch during the Creek Fire in the San Fernando Valley
Image: A weather vane is pictured on a ranch during the Creek Fire in the San Fernando Valley

The production of two blockbuster TV shows has been halted by wildfires in California.

HBO’s big-budget drama Westworld and S.W.A.T, a crime series, both announced that filming had been suspended as fires raged through a 60-mile area close to Los Angeles.

“Due to nearby wildfires, Westworld stopped production earlier today and will resume filming as soon as it’s safe to do so,” HBO said in a statement.

Westworld
Image: Westworld stars Thandie Newton, Anthony Hopkins and Evan Rachel Wood

The dystopian show is currently filming its second season in an area close to the fires, but producers were concerned about the danger to actors and crew.

They said filming would return to normal when the fires subsided.

  1. Live stock animals try to keep away from the flames
    Image: A wildfire engulfs horse stables in an early-morning creek fire that broke out in the Kagel Canyon area in the San Fernando Valley, north of Los Angeles
  2. Firefighters battle to save one of many homes burning
    Image: Firefighters battle to save one of many burning homes in the San Fernando Valley
  3. Embers spread across a roadway from a Santa Ana wind-driven brush fire
    Image: Embers spread across a roadway from a Santa Ana wind-driven brush fire in Santa Paula. Continue through for more pictures
  4. A horse which was left behind after an early-morning Creek Fire that broke out in the Kagel Canyon area
  5. Wildfire engulfs horse stables after an early-morning Creek Fire
  6. Wildfire engulfs horse stables in an early-morning Creek Fire that broke out in the Kagel Canyon area in the San Fernando Valley
  7. Horse trailers are destroyed after an early-morning Creek Fire that broke out in the Kagel Canyon area
  8. A weather vane is pictured on a ranch during the Creek Fire in the San Fernando Valley
  9. A firefighter stomps out small embers on a ranch
  10. A firefighter inspects a burning home during a wind-driven wildfire in Ventura, California
  11. A firefighting helicopter passes by the smoke covered sun
  12. Embers continue burning near a damaged home
  13. Firefighters battle to save one of many homes burning
  14. A wildfire burns on the hills of Ventura County
  15. Firefighters walk through a horse ranch threatened by the Creek Fire
  16. The burnt remains of an automobile at the Hawaiian Village apartments
  17. The empty east bound 210 freeway after it was shut down
    Image: The empty east bound 210 freeway after it was shut down
  18. Firefighters battle to save one of many homes burning i
  19. One of many homes destroyed by an early-morning Creek Fire that broke out in the Kagel Canyon area in the San Fernando Valley
  20. A fire crew passes a burning home during a wind-driven wildfire in Ventura, California

The S.W.A.T. writers’ room tweeted that filming was stopped “due to wildfires and unsafe air near our stages”.

The fire has prompted the evacuation of at least 150,000 people, as strong winds and dry vegetation fuelled a blaze that has seen one million acres burn this year.

Thick, choking smoke swept over the huge swathes of LA, forcing authorities to close roads and urge inhabitants to stay inside their homes.

More from World

  • LIVE: Trump condemned after recognising Jerusalem as Israel’s capital

  • Why does Donald Trump want to move the US embassy in Israel?

  • First of Chennai Six says ‘excellent to be home’ as he lands in UK

  • UN commits to stopping ocean plastic for a ‘pollution-free planet’

  • #MeToo: Time magazine’s Person of the Year prize goes to ‘Silence Breakers’

  • Russia’s Vladimir Putin seeks fourth term as president

Fire chiefs say climate change has contributed to the spread of the fires, which have consumed more than twice the recent five-year-average.

More than 3,000 homes have been threatened by the blaze and, although firefighters have been unable to reach where the damage is at its worst, officials suspect hundreds have been destroyed. In October at least 10 people died in the blazes.

More stories

  • Previous article Gyllenhaal: ‘I take myself very seriously’
  • Next article And the most streamed artists of 2017 are…






  • Check Also

    Far-right party to enter Austrian government

    Heinz-Christian Strache
    Image: The FPO’s Heinz-Christian Strache is tipped to be deputy chancellor

    Austria is set to become the only western European country with a far-right party in government.

    The head of the conservative People’s Party (OVP), Sebastian Kurz, has struck a coalition deal with the far-right Freedom Party (FPO).

    The FPO will take charge of the foreign, interior and defence ministries, among others, while its leader, 48-year-old Heinz-Christian Strache, will be deputy chancellor.

    Mr Kurz, 31, will be the youngest leader in Europe. His OVP will run ministries including finance and justice.

    When the OVP won Austria’s election on 15 October it did so with a hard line on immigration – a policy which often overlapped with that of the FPO.

    The FPO was third, taking 26% of the vote.

    “Nobody has anything to fear,” said the FPO’s secretary general and Austria’s next interior minister, Herbert Kickl.

    Sebastian Kurz
    Image: Sebastian Kurz says he wants to increase security and combat illegal immigraton

    Mr Kurz held a joint news conference with Mr Strache and told reporters: “Our aims are quite clear.

    “We want to ease the tax burden for people, we want to strengthen our economy, which will bolster our social system.”

    Mr Kurz, known as ‘wunderwuzzi’ or ‘whizz-kid’, added: “And first and foremost we want to increase security in our country, including by combating illegal immigration.”

    While Mr Kurz has said his administration will be pro-European, both he and Mr Strache have expressed doubts about further social integration.

    Sebastian Kurz
    Image: Mr Kurz, 31, is Europe’s youngest leader

    The two men presented their agreement to Austrian President Alexander Van der Bellen, a former Greens leader who narrowly beat the FPO in a presidential vote in 2015.

    Mr Van der Bellen, who has the right to reject ministers, has said a new government could be sworn in early next week if everything went to plan.

    Following their meeting, Mr Van der Bellen said they had agreed it was in Austria’s “national interest” to remain at the “centre of a strong European Union”.

    More from World

    • Argentina fires head of navy a month after submarine vanished

    • After Zuma: Why South Africa is at a political crossroads

    • Billionaire couple found dead in their mansion basement

    • Pentagon says it used to investigate UFOs but doesn’t confirm whether it still does

    • Saudi women will be allowed to drive trucks and motorbikes when road ban lifted

    • Boy, nine, locked in safe during game of hide and seek in Berlin

    The FPO’s success mirrors that of similar parties across Europe. Geert Wilders’ Freedom Party is now the second-largest in the Netherlands, the Front National in France was involved in a run-off for the presidency in May and representatives from Germany’s AfD have entered the Bundestag.

    When the FPO was last in government, under the late Joerg Haider, other EU countries imposed sanctions on Vienna in protest.

    More top stories

    • Previous article Swimmers seriously hurt after two sea lion attacks
    • Next article Trump criticises ‘disgraceful’ FBI conduct